Working with a slow laptop is extremely irritating. It may take a few minutes for your laptop to launch a program or load a website. The laptop may freeze some times and in some cases it lags. The great news is that this can be fixed. I’ll show you how to do it in this article. These are the common things followed by 99% of IT Pros.
Method 1: Disable startup programs
Having too many auto-launch programs can affect your laptop’s performance. These programs will start automatically when your laptop turns on, hogging your resources and slowing down your laptop.
So, you should check for and disable unwanted startup programs on your laptop. Here is how:
If you’re on Windows 7…
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type msconfig. Then, select msconfig.
2) Click Startup.
3) Uncheck the box next to the program that you don’t need to launch automatically at startup. Note: Only deselect programs that you know that you don’t need to launch automatically at startup. You should keep your antivirus launching automatically for safety.
4) Click OK. Then, restart your laptop / PC.
With these tips, your laptop will load faster.
If you’re on Windows 8 or 10…
1) On your keyboard, press the Shift, Ctrl and Esc keys at the same time to open Task Manager.
2) Click Startup. Then, right-click the program you want to prevent it from opening on startup and select Disable.
Only disable programs that you know that you don’t need to launch automatically at startup. You should keep your antivirus launching automatically for safety.
3) Restart your laptop.
Your laptop should be able to start faster after disabling the auto-startup programs.
Method 2: Free up your disk space
When a laptop or PC doesn’t have enough disk space it could also cause to run slow. Running Disk Cleanup on your laptop or Computer to free up your disk space to see if that fixes your issue. Follow the instructions below to see how to do it:
Tip: What is Disk Cleanup?
Disk Cleanup is a Microsoft built-in utility that allows you to get rid of the temporary and unnecessary files on your laptop.
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type disk cleanup.
2) Check all the boxes to select the file types to get rid of. Then, click OK.
You can delete all temporary files and unnecessary system files by running Disk Cleanup monthly. This may be able to speed up your laptop.
Method 3: Uninstall unnecessary programs
Uninstalling unused programs can free up your storage space and make your laptop run faster. Here is how to make it:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type control. Then, click Control Panel.
2) Select Uninstall a program.
3) Right-click the program that you don’t use and select Uninstall.
Note: Only uninstall those programs that you don’t use anymore. Don’t remove any program that you are not familiar with. It may be critical for the functioning of your laptop.