In this article I’ll through two ways to start a computer with Windows 10 in Safe Mode. But first, let me explain you the purpose of starting a computer with Windows 10 in Safe Mode. The purpose is to help you troubleshoot computer problems. For example, if your computer is not starting correctly, and is in a restart loop, you can start the computer in Safe Mode and you can troubleshoot the issue.
So, let us go through the process of manually starting Windows 10 in safe mode.
- Enable the F8 key method
Back in Windows 7 you just needed to press the F8 key before the computer boot, and the computer present the Advanced Boot Options menu and then you had the option to select Safe Mode. But in Windows 10, it doesn’t work that way, you need to enable it in a manual way.
The first method is Start Safe Mode by turning off your PC 3 times while Windows 10 is loading.
If you’re unable to launch Windows, this is how to start Safe Mode:
- Be sure the computer is completely off.
- Turn on the computer, and when you see the Windows logo and the spinning circle of dots, press and hold for 5 to 10 seconds the power button until the PC shuts down. Repeat this process three times until you see the Automatic Repair mode as seen below:
3. Keep waiting until Windows start diagnosing your PC
4. When you see the Setup Repair menu, click Advanced Options:
5. Then click Troubleshoot
6. Then click Advanced options:
7. Then click Startup Settings:
8. To change Windows option click Restart
9. After you click restart, the computer will start with a list of different options to select. On the keyboard, press the number 4 key to select the option Safe Mode without networking available and the key 5 to enter in Safe Mode with Networking available.
Then, after this, you can start troubleshooting Windows 10.
This is the easiest way to do this, while the computer is on the logon screen, press any key and the computer will ask your username and password. In this case, just click the Power icon on the bottom left and then, while pressing the Shift key, click on Restart and the computer will boot in recovery mode.
Follow the step 3 to 9 in the First option.